(And What They Really Mean)
- Major Technological Breakthrough
- Back to the drawing board.
- Developed after years of intensive research
- It was discovered by accident.
- Project slightly behind original schedule due to unforeseen difficulties
- We are working on something else.
- The designs are well within allowable limits
- We just made it, stretching a point or two.
- Customer satisfaction is believed assured
- We are so far behind schedule that the customer was happy to get anything at all from us.
- Close project coordination
- We should have asked someone else
- Let's spread the responsibility for this snafu
- The design will be finalized in the next reporting period
- We haven't started this job yet, but we've got to say something.
- A number of different approaches are being tried
- We don't know where we're going, but we're moving.
- Test results were extremely gratifying
- It works, and are we surprised!
- Extensive effort is being applied on a fresh approach to the problem
- We just hired three new guys, and we'll let them kick it around for a while.
- Preliminary operational tests are inconclusive
- The darn thing blew up when we turned it on
- The entire concept will have to be abandoned
- The only guy who understood the thing quit.
- Modifications are underway to correct certain minor difficulties
- We threw the whole thing out and are starting from scratch.